I am currently a juggling full time UX work and doctoral research, but still do the odd bit of conference reporting and meetup documentation.
I started a full-time PhD at Northumbria University in October 2010 on the “aesthetics of touch” and how designers can better learn to articulate haptic qualities. (For more on this project, see my blog of the same name). Since then, it’s shifted to look at the language of design (including touch), and has another website focused on it.
My undergraduate degree project at Unitec New Zealand looked at how electronic devices could help children learn music, and my Masters project (also at Unitec) combined phenomenology and craft in the service of mobile phones.
- Jones, Malcolm, Teinaki, Vicky and Leitner, Michael (2012) Supportive Resources: Mastering the Art of Making Sense. In: Message in a Bottle DIS 2012 Workshop, 12 June 2012, Newcastle University.
- Teinaki, Vicky, Montgomery, Bruce, Spencer, Nick and Cockton, Gilbert (2012) An aesthetics of touch: investigating the language of design relating to form. In: DeSForM 2012: Meaning. Matter. Making. Design and semantics of form and movement . School of Design, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand, pp. 170-179. ISBN 9780475123893
- Teinaki, V., Jones, M., Leitner, M., “Supportive Resources“, In Interfaces Magazine Issue 91, pp15-17.
Selected articles (see site for full list )
- Good IxDers Borrow, Great Ones Steal …
- Design in the Open: Baring Your Wireframes in Public
- Intuited Interfaces: Remembering That People Don’t Know
- Phenomenology: Invisible Interfaces Are a Myth
- Design and Meaning: An Interview with Nathan Shedroff
- The Power of Prototyping: An Interview with Todd Zaki Warfel
- The Web that Wasn’t and the New York Times: An Interview with Alex Wright
Blog of my former workplace
- Selling UX — Dan Szuc
- Creating a More Sustainable World — Nathan Shedroff
- Sustainable Brands Outreach 09
- Positive Development, Dr Janis Birkeland — “Poor urban design is killing more people than terrorism”
- Mocoloco: Milan Design Week Food Chain Toys – 2008
- Prodesign Magazine: Marine Toys – 2008
- Radio New Zealand: Four for the Future Car Project (radio interview) – 2005